Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Always On

After reading and pondering the issues raised in the "Always On" article, I was quite startled to hear on the news that a movie theatre is banning cell phone use by teens for rude and unruly behavior during show times.  With all the positive attributes mobile communication devices have, I find myself still troubled by the new generation - those that have grown up in the digital age and how they deal with common courtesy in everyday life. 

Lorcan Dempsey in this article shared a thought that is new to me.  Yes, it's the young that are more apt to gravitate towards new technology, and they are using the technology not only for entertainment, games and media, but also to reach out to parents and older relatives for support, i.e., letting a parent know they are staying after school, where they can be reached, etc.  I recall years ago a friend stating to someone who had to contact their child on a cell phone, "What kind of parent are you if don't know where your child is."  I agreed back then, but, having three children of my own, working and going to school, knowing where they are is not always a given fact. 

But then you have to wonder how much use is too much.  Do we really need to use a cell phone in the grocery store?  Dempsey also addresses the need to set expectations on mobile device usage.  This is clear in the instance in the movie theatre instance mentioned above.  In this case, Great Escape theatres in Harrisburg is not admitting anyone under 17 to movies that begin after 9:00 pm without a guardian due to a number of complaints for unruly behavior, rude language and bad manners in the theatre.  Interestingly enough, this is not the only theatre that is resorting to such limitations; Kerasotes Theatres in Indiana, Colorado and Illinois have done similar.  At least in theatres, movies cost enough money; to add the nuisances of some cell phone etiquette (or lack thereof) would certainly make me upset.

When it comes down to it, being "Always On" is not always the best.  And this is not just for the young, but for all ages.  Everyone needs to remember to be respectful and mindful to where they are and what they are doing.

1 comment:

  1. Last night I went to a very conservative beach club for dinner here in Narragansett (as a guest). I know that they have a strict no cell phone use policy so I don't even bring it with me, but another member of our group was shocked when none of the usual photo taking and messaging was occurring. "Don't you guys have your phones?"

    I have to say what a civilized dinner (well civilized for us) it was without all of the dinging, vibrating, honking, barking etc.

    Maybe more places need to enforce No Cellphone Use mandates.

    PS friend me you goof I can't find you. There are 5 million Julie O'Briens.

    ReplyDelete