Monday, July 11, 2011

Response to Question Raised from Book Review

In receiving my grade for the book review, Personal Connections in the Digital Age, Suellen posed a question that I did not reference in the actual review.  I would like to clarify now. 

I would think that this would relate to libraries’ use in understanding that it’s a patron’s personal preference whether they want to socialize and follow along with a library’s offerings via person or web.  While a library cannot focus on one or the other, they need to understand that it’s a personal preference of the patron.  I for one like to go in to the library to see what’s going on.  My local library does not have a great website, twitter or Facebook account.  However, I would be more than willing to follow a local library who is keeping current and up to date with the latest technologies, and taking the time to stay on top of postings. 

A library is a social entity – must know that everyone is different and it cannot go either way, but understand that all patrons are individuals and have individual preferences.  What one may like, another may not.  A library must know and understand this and offer all opportunities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment